Step-by-step instruction and scheme
For this Macrame Classic - Macrame Owl - you will need 17 cords: 14 cords with a length of approximately 2.5 yards (2 meters) each, 2 cords - 3 yards (2,5 m) and 1 cord - 1 yard (0.9 m). Also you will need 2 rings (d=2-3 inches, or 4-6 cm) and 2 sticks (wooden or plastic).
The size of the item is around 10" x 15". I used thick 5 mm cord, but you can scale down the Macrame Owl by using thinner cord.
•X - Square Knot
•W - Wind Knot
•R - Double Half Hitch
•S - Spiral Braid
•G - "Gourmand" pattern
•C - Chain Braid
•K - Capuchin Knot
•F - Frivolite
•L - Loop Knot
•H - Chameleon Braid
•B - "Berry" Pattern
•P - Petals Pattern
•J - Josephine Knot
•A - Lark's head knot
1. Double two cords (3 yards) and make a Chain braid about 10 inches (0,3 m) length.
2. Fix the four cords' ends on the stick with Double Half Hitches.
3. Between the Double Half Hitches mount on the stick 14 cords (2.5 yards) with the Lark's head knots.
5. Pull the edge cords from both sides to the last Square Knot (in the 8th row of Chess pattern). Use the cords as base threads and tie on them two rows of diagonal Hitches.
6. Make a "Berry" pattern on the 4 cords in center.
7. Take the edge cord and make 15 Picot Frivolité Knots on the second cord. Repeat on the another side.
8. Fix the rest of the cords (between the Frivolite braid and "Berry" pattern) on each ring with Double Half Hitches. Tie Square Knots inside rings. You will now have the Owl's "eyes"!
9. Take the four cords under the "Berry" Pattern and pull them to the edges, under the Owl's "eyes". Use them as base threads again and tie on them 2 rows of diagonal Hitches with all threads, including the cords under the Frivolite braids.
10. Again make a triangular Chess pattern (Step 5) starting with one Square Knot and finishing with 8 knots in 8th row.
11. Take the last cord (0.9 yards long), double it and place the middle part above all cords. Use it as a base thread and complete a horizontal Hitch. It is our Owl's waist (Note: The waist is optional. You can just continue tying a Chess pattern until you feel like your Owl is long enough).
12. Under the horizontal Hitch make 8 Square Knots (don't use the two cords in the middle).Then tie 3 knots in the 2nd row (in chess order) and 2 knots in the 3rd. It will be the Owl's "paws".
13. Fix all the ends on a stick with Double Half Hitches. Under each "paw" gather all threads with a Wind Knot. You will have two tassels. Leave about 10 cm (4 inches) and cut the extra cord equally. Make the tassels fluffy by untwisting the cords. Also you can make Owl's "eyebrows" and "waist" with pieces of the untwisted fluffy cord and sew them to your Owl. Shiny big buttons could be used as the Owl's "eyes".