Macrame Hammock Tutorial
Step-by-step instructions with photos and scheme
To make this one-of-the-kind Macrame hammock you will need approximately 1000 yards of cord - 50 cords 20 yards each (poly 4mm cord works great), two sturdy metal rings (about 3" wide) and two wooden dowels (30" long, 0,5-1" diameter).
1. Hang 25 cords on a ring with the Lark's head knots. Then take other 25 cords, place them under each of the first 25 cords, and using them as working cords, make 25 Square knot braids 10" long.
2. Separate two Square knot braids on both sides and make Petals pattern on 8 cords. With the rest 21 braids in the middle make the 1st part of the main pattern of this hammock (see details below).
The Main Pattern
The entire middle part of the hammock is made of this pattern.
Here is how to recreate it.
1. Take one of the base cords of a Square knot and point it to the left. Make 3 Double Half Hitches with the working thread if the same Square knot and with two cords of the Square knot to the left. See the scheme below for more details.
In the second row use the first working cord as a base. Make again 3 Double Half Hitches creating Diagonal Hitches.
The same way make the second side of the rhombus. Intervine (criss-cross) the 4 cords in the middle.
Make the left side on the next rhombus to the right and connect it with the first rhombus with a Square knot (repeat on the left side).
Make the lower sides of the rhombus and a connecting Square knot underneath. Here is a whole rhombus.
On the pictures below you can see base and working cords of the Main (rhombus) pattern. Here is a scheme for the first row of the Diagonal Hitches...
...And this is for the second row:
2. In the next step take 2 threads from the lower side of the rhombus, and using them as base cords, make on them 4 Double Half Hitches (2 cords from the next rhombus' side and 2 from the connecting Square knot). Repeat on the other side.
3. Make another 2 rows of the Double Half Hitches, using the treads from the Square knot as base cords and 4 cords from the previous row of the Double Half Hitches as working cords.
5. Make a Square knot underneath the rows of the Diagonal Hitches.
6. Now create the second row of the rhombuses, starting from each of the Square knots (step 1). Keep repeating the pattern of the rhombuses and connecting rows of the Double Half Hitches. The design is pretty simple as soon as you get your hand in.
Finishing Macrame Hammock
You can add the Vertical Petals pattern on the edges of the hammock, connecting it to the main pattern with the Square knots.
The fringes, hanging off the edges of the hammock, and the butterfly embelishments, that you can see on the pictures, are completely optional.
Once you reach the end of the project, you will have 25 Square knot braids (just like in the beginning). Tie each pair of the working cords on underside of your hammock.
Next, attach each of the base cords (you will have 50) to the second metal ring with the Double Half Hitch knots.
Tie working cords and base cords together (my working cords turned out much shorter than base cords) on the underside.
Secure the knots by applying some clear glue on the knots and cut off extra cord.
Enjoy your beautiful and unique Macrame hammock!
The design and some of the images are courtesy of Antonina Kulikova and