Macrame Christmas Ornament
Step by step instructions with images
The measurements of the item are around 3” in diameter (without the tassel).
You will need 20 yards (62 feet) of 1 mm nylon cord (I used Red Heart brand nylon crochet thread size 18, sold in Walmart, Amazon, etc) and a 3” plastic ball ornament.
1. Cut the cord on 20 pieces 3’ each, one cord 1’.
Lay one of the 3’ cords flat (it will be a base cord) and mount on it 10 cords, using the Lark's head (LH) knots.
2. Tie the base cord around the ornament’s top (use a simple overhand knot).
3. Take one of the ends and place it under the LH knots and make on it Double Half Hitch knots with every end you have.
Mount a 3’ cord on the base thread between each 2 DHH knots. Use LH knot for mounting the cords.
4. Separate all the cords (you have 40 ends now) in 5 groups of 8 ends.
5. Take the outmost left cord and point it inward and sligthly down. Then, using it as a base cord, make 3 DHH knots.
6. Next, take the first working cord and point it under the first row of DDHH knots. Using it as a base cord, make a second row of DHH knots. Repeat with the 4 ends on the right.
7. Tie a Square knot with the 4 ends in the middle.
8. Then take the 2 ends in the middle and point them outward, use them as base cords.
Make 3 DHH knots. Then tie the second row of DHH under the first one.
9. Repeat steps 5-7 with each group of 8 cords. You will have the Petals design, resembling a 4-petal flower.
10. Take a 1’ cord and tie it around the ornament underneath the Petals. It will be our base cord. Cut off the extra base cord, if needed - apply some clear glue to keep the knot from untying.
Make on it 20 DHH knots with an extra loop. Mount a 2’ cord between each 2 Petals patterns, use LH knot with an extra loop on each end. You will have 50 ends now.
11. Make Square knots with each 5 cords, in the second row alternate regular 4-cords Square knots and 6-cords Square knots (4 base + 2 working cords).
12. Take a base cord from a 6-cords Square knots and hold it outwards and slightly down. Make on it 4 DHH knots.
Then take the first working cord and point it under the first row of DHH knots. Using it as a base cord, make a second row of DHH knots.
Repeat on another side. Connect 4 middle cords with a Square knots braid consisting of 4-5 Square knots.
Repeat 5 times with each group of 10 cords.
13. Take 6 cords in between the Square knots braids and make Square knots (4 base + 2 working cords).
14. Put all the ends from the Square knots together (leaving the Square knots braids out) and tie them together with a Gathering Wrap knot/ Wind Knot.
Make a tassel - unravel the ends and cut them evenly.
No-tassel version (only if using a nylon or other synthetic thread): Take one end and using it as a base cord tie on it DHH knots with each cord, wrapping the base cord in circles towards the center.
Then cut off the ends and burn them off with a lighter, fusing the ends. Decorate with matching seed beads. Unravel the ends of the Square knots braids and cut them evenly. The Christmas Ornament is ready!
Tip: Apply some clear glue or nail polish on the underside of each last Square knot at the bottom to prevent the knots from untying.